Monday, September 6, 2010

Introductions

I don't know why, but I'm loving being back in Korea. I think I love it here more now than I did the first time. My school is amazing. Maybe I am enjoying it so much more this time because I have some understanding of what is expected, and also because I already have such a close friend in Miok. We've been hanging out a lot since I arrived in Gongju. We went to the fortress, and we attended a welcome party for new members at church. We've gone out to eat, and gotten my hair cut. We've sat in coffee shops for four hours, just looking at magazines and relaxing. It has been great.
More about my school? As I said, it's fantastic! The other teachers try and communicate with me, even though they don't speak English very well. They are trying and it means so much to me! And my students are so wonderful! They are very respectful, and they always seem cheerful.
One bad thing though, I have a student in my 5th/6th grade class who has a speech disability. The other kids make fun of her and don't want to be her friend. It really bothers me that they aren't trying. I understand, because at that age, no one wants to be labeled as the kid who was friends with the 'retard' but it still bothers me. And the thing that bothers me the most about it is that I understand her! If you just listen, you can understand! But no one wants to take the time to try and understand. The other kids just badger her about it, saying "What did you say? Say it again! Say it right!" and then she gets scared and doesn't want to say it anymore. She stayed after class today and asked me when my birthday was. We had a small conversationabout it. When the other kids aren't around, she's more willing to speak in English. I just wish my kids didn't have to feel so shy around their classmates.

BUT...other than the other kids being mean to Jenny, and my kindergarten class being REALLY hard (they can't even read Korean yet), my school life is going pretty well. I really do love Gongju and Korea.

My new haircut, at Canmore with Miok on Monday night


At the pastor's house for a welcoming party on Sunday evening. Me, simchil (maybe?), Mrs. Kim, Andrea, Mr. Lennon, Nari

Hahyun and I really tired at a coffee shop after looking at 4 big fashion magazines on Sunday afternoon.

My school, Deokam Elementary! It's really tiny and great!

At the Gongju fortress, with Miok on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment